Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Tuesday's Tips: Remembering

Our kids do a lot of things that we don't want to forget.  How often during the day do you think, "I need to write that down!" or, "I can't wait to tell my husband, or mom, or sister about that one!"?  Then the end of the day comes and in our exhaustion we forget completely.  Sometimes we'll remember just enough to think that there was something we wanted to remember...but we still can't figure out what it was. 

Here are a couple ideas to help with REMEMBERING.....
  • A couple of years ago a friend of mine gave me a suggestion:  Tape a blank piece of paper inside one of your kitchen cupboards.  Find a pen, tie a string around it, tape the other end of the string next to the paper inside the cupboard.  When your kid says or does something, you can write it down right there.  It may not be pretty, but it's hidden from visitors.  And honestly, a lot of time is spent in the kitchen...so you won't have to go far.  Plus, you don't have to find a pen...which sometimes takes a detective to locate when you're needing one.
  • A calendar.   There are a billion ways to do this.  Anything from a Baby's 1st Year calendar with matching cute stickers for different firsts, to a homemade black&white print out from your computer.  It doesn't matter the kind of calendar....just remember to have it OUT in a regular place, like on the wall in your child's bedroom, in a playroom, or on your nightstand  and NOT HIDING...you don't have time to find it when those important and silly things happen.  Also, have a pen attached to where ever you have the calendar and keep the pen in this regular place.
Do any of you have other ideas of things you do?  I'd love to share them in another post!

3 comments:

Kris Hewitt said...

I love this idea. Our first child, Grant, is only 3 months old and I have been keeping track of his "milestones" so far on my own, but I love the calendar idea. And I can start now! Thanks.

Stillman and Michelle said...

I use my blog to record those moments. Then I can make a book of my blog. I don't journal very well. but I do blog. My friend is also thinking of starting blogs (private of coarse) for her kids. A place where she can load all the pictures and saying her kids create and say. Then she can make a book out of them.

Alyssa Green said...

My sister does a blog that she will probably make a book of someday as well. She posts daily to it. I like your idea because you don't have to be at the computer right away and it will give you a reminder of what you wanted to post.