Friday, September 03, 2010

Friday's Favorite: This Book

A few years ago I borrowed this book from a friend.  In the last decade of my life I've only read a handful of books all the way through.  This isn't because I don't enjoy reading.  I love to read.  However, I literally can't put a book down once I've started to read it.  It's like stopping a movie in the middle and not finding out the ending for another week.  Unspeakable.  However, this book is quite small and practical for a busy mother to read.  I felt wonderful as I read it (and re-read many parts of it to my husband so he could laugh and enjoy with me...I think he even liked it.)  It's not a novel, so it is easier to put down for a few hours during the day, and it's uplifting and inspiring. 

Without giving too much away, the premise is this: The author, Dean Hughes, tells us about his real life experience as a mother...for a summer.  He was home for the summer while his wife went back to school.  He planned to read and relax the whole summer while his three young children happily played....mother's know this isn't quite how it goes, and he tells us about what he learned, experienced, and how wonderful mothers are. 

No comments: